Zaks garden, creatures and life

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Herbs

The update for the allotment campaign went out by email on monday. The paper versions are printed and ready to be hand delivered when i get around to it this weekend.

Whilst in the garden center with Julie, Sam and my mum, I bought a herb pot. The herbs are now starting to grow, and little seedlings are poking their way out




The mushroom tub, after being restocked with new compost, seems to be establishing itself again, the mycellium are growing through the compost nicely, and im keeping it moist with a spray and watching the temperature closely.

Well, all the turf is off the potato patch and the first spit deep trench dug. Where most people discover roman coins or pottery, i find discarded spark plugs a foot below my soil. I intend to double dig, but at this depth the soil becomes very solid. Im holding out further digging until i can hopefully get some horse manure in there. I know someone who can let me have some, but ive got to find a way of getting it back here. Without a trailer im stuck with the idea of bagging it and putting it on the car roof. Just need some sturdy bags.

Im wondering about fruit bushes now. I want to eventually be able to remove the conifers that divide the garden from nextdoors, and plant a fruit and wild berry hedgerow, something that will provide food for me and the birds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home