Zaks garden, creatures and life

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Its raining, again.

Not bothering me, im at work now, and got todays gardening done before hand. Me and Sam chose some seeds yesterday and so today was a day for sowing. Well, Sam helped choose them but cant read yet so just passed me things he liked the look of. Two and a half rows of carrots, Nantes Frubund, should be ready in spring, two rows of spring cabbage, and two rows of spring onions. So the dilema of what to do with the potatoe patch has been solved. I now have the nice crumbly tilth that i should have had at the start of the season. So good in fact, that i sink 3inch into it in my wellies. All i have to do now is prevent Sam from digging it up or walking on it.
Theres only one and a half rows left now. The half row i think might be for garlic. We love garlic. Cant put it in the other row and ive just pulled the onions from there.

I dug the old potatoe plot over a day or so ago, finding to my surprise a handfull of spuds. I also cut back the old raspberry canes. I need to prune the apple and plum trees, both are overgrown. The plums are very crowded and not getting very big, brought a bagful into work for whoever likes them. We discovered a bramble growing amongst the hedge, with blackberrys on it! It had a good healthy brier with suckers on, so Sam and I have put these into contact with a big tub of soil. Once they're established i will remove the original plant and move the new ones to a gap near the plot, hopefully establishing a nice blackberry bush.

Julie collected my new book on keeping chickens today. Ive read it already. Im leaning towards Rhode Island Reds, or a hybrid of some sort. I want lots of eggs.

Grass needs cutting tomorrow. Julie doesnt like doing the front. Theres lots of little sulphur tuft mushrooms popped up that need to be mown before Sam takes an interest in them.

The next parish council meeting is on the 13th. They should be discussing my request for the provision of allotment plots. I dont think i can be there so i will have to make sure they do discuss it. Its scandalous that a rural village like ours doesnt have any allotments. Until i get an allotment, i cant really start growing properly, certainly cant practice crop rotation properly anyway. I need to draft and submit a notice for the parish newsletter asking for interested persons to contact me.

So, pruning fruit trees and starting on chicken houses next jobs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home